December 09, 2008

Paperback Canyons in Witch City

As the weather turns nasty here in New England, my thoughts turn to hunkering down with a good book. Which reminds me: if you ever find yourself in Salem, MA with a sense of adventure and a few spare hours on your hands, there's a place you should visit...

I don't think there are any actual shelves in the store

The Derby Square Bookstore is an amazing place and an ataxophobic's nightmare. I paid for my purchase through a gap between the stacks and said "thanks" to the sliver of a shopkeeper briefly glimpsed amidst the piles, then quickly escaped to avoid being engulfed by an Oprah-approved avalanche.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm...I never thought about it before, but I wonder what the Silver Fox's true feelings are about this place, since he is both a bookaholic and an ataxophobic. As for me, I got a great deal there on this book for a certain young gal I know, so I am a fan.

L said...

I did not realize that I am an ataxophobic. AWESOME! Another neurosis!

Pucho V said...

Yeah, at least the place isn't right on the beach. Could you imagine a bunch of sand blowing in through the open door and covering the floor?

eyeheartorange said...

P, I already had a hunch that you and Brett will get along, based on your laid back but intelligent demeanor, love of Hunter S. Thompson and travel, and your neat-o last name (oh wait, that's why I like you) but this confirms it. He is an old-book-aholic. To the point that we went to a store similar to this on our firs date.