August 13, 2009

A Joyful Amalgamation

a perfect union

french fries, cheese curds, and gravy

oh poutine, what joy!


The Holy Grail is made of styrofoam

I feel it is somehow important to elaborate on my haiku and say a few words about the wonderous Quebecois creation known as poutine: a mouthwatering medley of french fries, gravy, and cheese curds.

I've always been an avid supporter of the humble potato and a bonafide cheese enthusiast. And gravy? Gosh, who doesn't like their food bathed in thick savory sauce!? Ever since I was first introduced to this dish by LSB, who grew up a few miles/kilometers from Quebec, I have been mildly obsessed with it (we even made poutine T-shirts...). Recent visits to Canada have turned into personal poutine crusades that produced mediocre results: edible, but uninspiring pub-poutine or, worse, no poutine at all. LSB had taken to giving me words of encouragement: "don't worry, we'll get it next time we're in Canada."

My luck changed a week ago, when a friendly Canadian handed us a take-out menu while we sat by the Avon River in Stratford, Ontario. It was lunchtime and Boomer's Gourmet Fries was just up the street. Small and unassuming, both inside and out, Boomer's welcomed us with a giant, chalkboard menu and a friendly greeting from the spiky-haired, heavily tatooed woman at the counter.

The key to the magic within

While the others ordered the more traditional "2 Cheese Poutine," LSB and I couldn't resist the "Goat Cheese Poutine" (with gravy, basil oil, and cracked pepper). Pure potato-based deliciousness. It was like eating happiness with a plastic fork. My only complaint is that there wasn't any bacon on the menu, though I can only imagine that the "Poutini Martini" is a little glass of heaven.

Are you ogling my poutine, punk?


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

L said...

Such a search, and yet, you can eat it across the street from our Apt any day...