January 26, 2010

Constant Drizzle in the Valley of the Sun




I came to Phoenix for the sun and heat.  Okay, that's not exactly true: I came for a conference for "Advanced Graduate Admissions Professionals," but I was especially looking forward to the sun and the heat.  This is the Great American Desert, after all, in a state that borders Mexico, for crying out loud. 

Alas, Mother Nature had other plans and decided to dump 50-60% of the average annual rainfall for the area, all in one week.  She even sent in high winds that forced officials to close the airport temporarily and caused local news teams to endanger their carefully styled news-hair by scattering throughout the area to investigate potential tornado sightings. 


















Thus, I spent most of my time gazing out of the conference room windows at the many vacant hotel pools (in addition to the rain, it was also pretty cold) and sandbags stacked throughout the resort to keep the water from flooding the lobby, gift shop, and workout center.
In spite of the conditions, I did manage to pass a pleasant half hour in the hot tub (I wasn't quite brave enough to attempt a swim in the unoccupied pools) and wander off the resort where I encountered many wet cacti and vestages of the Old West.


















Cheer up, Dear Reader (that's you, LSB), the rain eventually stopped and the sun came out.  The temperature even made into the mid-50s. 

No comments: