September 23, 2010

My Name is Special Ed and I'm a Super-Duper Star
















The Magnificent

I'm your idol the highest title numero uno
I'm not a Puerto Rican but I'm speakin so that you know
and understand I got the gift of speech
and it's a blessin so listen to the lesson I preach

The program for the 25th Anniversary Stoweflake Hot Air Balloon Festival clearly indicated that Special Ed would be performing at 5:00 PM, a couple of hours before the balloons were scheduled to launch.

I talk sense condensed into the form of a poem
full of knowledge from my toes to the top of my dome
I'm kinda young but my tongue speaks maturity
I'm not a child I don't need nothin for security

 



















As a fan of Special Ed from way back--during a brief late-80's-to-early-90's Yo! MTV Raps obsession--I was quite excited about this.  I was also intrigued and slightly concerned that Special Ed was now performing at family-oriented balloon festivals in Vermont.  What happened, Special Ed?  You used to be my idol, the highest title, numero uno

I'm outspoken--my language is broken into a slang
but it's just a dialect that I select when I hang
I play it cool--cuz coolin is all that I'm about
just foolin wit tha girlies, yes I'm bustin it out

We arrived after 5 PM and heard music playing from inside the beer and music tent...music that was decidedly not Special Ed.  The opener perhaps? 

My name is Special Ed and I'm a super-duper star
every other week I get a brand new car
Got twenty, that's plenty yet I still want more
kinda fond of honda scooters--got seventy-four





















Upon closer inspection, we realized that this was an entirely different Special Ed altogether--a local band that played lame covers.  In other words, not special at all.  

I got the riches--to fulfill my needs
got land in the sand of the West Indies
even got a little island of my very own--
I gotta frog--a dog with a solid gold bone

Well, at least the balloons lived up to their billing in the program and, in spite of the initial disappointment, LSB and I had a enjoyable evening with the M's of VT. 

Though, as evening approached and we watched the beautiful balloons rise and fall, I couldn't help thinking that they would have gone a little higher and their colors would have looked a bit brighter if the scene were set to the soundtrack of my poser, hip hop childhood...

I'm kinda spoiled
cuz everything I want I got made
I wanted gear--got everything from cotton to suede
I wanted lead--I didn't beg I just got laid
My hair was growin too long, so I got me a fade
and when my dishes got dirty, I got Cascade
when the weather was hot, I got a spot in the shade
I'm wise because I rise to the top of my grade
wanted peace on Earth, so to God I prayed
Some kids across town thought I was afraid
they couldn't harm me--
I got the army brigade
I'm not a trader
if what you got is greater I'll trade
but maybe later cuz my waiter made potato -n- alligator souflee--

I got it made


2 comments:

L said...

When I read this, I just skip over all the parts that are lyrics. Am I missing anything?

Pucho V said...

Yes. The lyrics are important. Learn from the wisdom of Special Ed.